Princeton Theological Seminary - NJ
P O Box 821; 64 Mercer Street
Princeton, NJ 08542-0803
Ms. Lauren Cole
Human Resources Assistant
Guidelines for prospective Exports or Imports are online
Tuition amount: Full Tuition
First Degree Professionals
Deadline for the receipt of initial TE certification/applications:
In March 2022
The percentage of the new admitted TE candidates offered a TE scholarship for the current academic year:
Affiliated from the beginning with the Presbyterian Church and the wider Reformed tradition, Princeton Theological Seminary is today a denominational school with an ecumenical, interdenominational, and worldwide constituency. This is reflected in the faculty, in the curriculum of studies, and in the student body.
Princeton Theological Seminary was established in 1812, the first Seminary founded by the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church. The establishment of The Theological Seminary at Princeton marked a turning point in American theological education. Within the last quarter of the eighteenth century, all learning was of a piece and could be adequately taught and studied in the schools and colleges, nearly all of which were church initiated. General education was also the context for professional studies in divinity, medicine, and the law. In the first quarter of the nineteenth century, professional training became disengaged from the college curriculum, medical and law schools were established, and seventeen divinity schools and seminaries came into existence.
The plan to establish a theological seminary at Princeton was in the interests of advancing and extending the theological curriculum, to go beyond the liberal arts course by setting up a postgraduate, professional school in theology. The plan met with enthusiastic approval on the part of authorities at the College of New Jersey, later to become Princeton University, for they were coming to see that specialized training in theology required more attention than they could give.
With fewer than a dozen students, in 1812 Archibald Alexander was the first, and for one year the only, professor. He was joined the following year by a second professor, Samuel Miller, who came to Princeton from the pastorate of the Wall Street Church in New York.
To read the wording of the original ?Design of the Seminary? is to perceive the early growth of the modern development in theological education in America, though the Princeton innovators were not at all thinking of breaking new ground except in the literal sense. They were prophetic enough, however, and among other things the ?Design? noted that the purpose of the Seminary was to unite in those who shall sustain the ministerial office, religion and literature; that piety of the heart, which is the fruit only of the renewing and sanctifying grace of God, with solid learning; believing that religion without learning, or learning without religion, in the ministers of the gospel, must ultimately prove injurious to the church.